Haggard on c. 286 Acres, Carbury, KildareSold EXEMPT

5 Bed Farm 286 Acres

View All (10)

Description

Haggard comprises an elegant late Georgian house, situated in a beautiful, Private Estate of 286 acres encompassing top quality arable and grazing land, woodland, Steward’s house and yards. Positioned in a peaceful country setting with excellent accessibility the entire offers a magnificent opportunity to purchase a real hidden gem.

FOR SALE BY PUBLIC AUCTION
Thursday 23rd June @ 3pm
in Keadeen Hotel, Newbridge
(unless previously sold)


HISTORY:

The house at Haggard was built in the 1800’s by the Holt family who were tenants of Lord Harberton of Newberry Hall. Following a row with the estate over shooting rabbits, Herbert Samuel Holt emigrated to Canada where he became chief engineer during the construction of the Canadian pacific railway; earning him a knighthood. Both Newberry and Haggard subsequently passed into the ownership of the Pilkington family. Frederick Pilkington lived in Newberry and his son William Pilkington in Haggard. William Pilkington was High Sheriff of Co. Kildare and was knighted as a reward for organising the Royal visit in 1904 to Kildare. He subsequently left Haggard and the Estate transferred to Mr.Eddie Bourne who lived and farmed there from 1916 to the early fifties. Following this the property was purchased in 1956 by the current family and has been in the same ownership since.

LOCATION:

Haggard is superbly located in Co.Kildare close to the Meath and Offaly borders and near the market town of Edenderry. The M4 motorway is accessible at Enfield (Junction 9) giving easy access both north and south bound. The small and quaint village of Carbury is near the property.

Dublin City:..........................50km
Dublin Airport:....................58km
M4 (Junction 9):.................. 12km
Edenderry:.............................6km
Enfield:................................. 12km
Naas:................................... 30km

DESCRIPTION:

THE HOUSE:
Haggard House is a two storey over basement Period house of circa 371.6 sq.m (4000 sq.ft) built in circa 1824 with a rear extension and occupied by the current family since 1956. It is approached via a tree lined avenue off the main road. The house remains intact with many of its original features including plasterwork and window shutters. There is an impressive entrance hall with a drawing room and dining room on either side, both beautifully proportioned rooms leading to a substantial kitchen. On the first floor there are five bedrooms and a bathroom. The basement comprises a number of rooms with the original kitchen and stores. To the front is a lawned area which in the past accommodated two grass based tennis courts. Overall whilst the house requires investment it is a manageable size and upon restoration would provide an ideal Country residence.

COURTYARD:
To the immediate rear of the main residence is an original courtyard which comprises an old coach house with loft in addition to a number of stables and general outhouses in need of some repair.

YARD 1
This yard is located adjacent to the courtyard above and provides an extensive number of limestone stables and a former two storey Steward’s house. All require renovation.

YARD 2
Farmyard with three hay barns all with concrete bases in addition to a number of general outbuildings.

WALLED GARDEN:
There is a lovely walled garden close to the yards and main residence of circa ½ an acre. The wall itself is in
very good condition and is a splendid feature of the property.

THE LAND:
The land comprises a total area of approximately 116 hectares (286 acres) all in one large block with extensive road frontage and several access points. The breakdown of the lands is 60 acres in tillage, 170 in grass, 37 acres in forestry and 19 acres of scrub and bog (part of which may be suitable for planting). The land has superb mature timber and natural hedgerows providing excellent shelter throughout with a combination of electric fence and sheep wire on the boundaries.

Overall the land is good quality suitable for arable or grass based enterprises. There is one field of about 20 acres which is heavier and might be more suitable for forestry although perhaps with some land reclamation its productivity could be improved. The land is classified in the soils map of County Kildare as primarily ‘Elton Series’ soils and these are generally regarded as some of the best lands in the county with a very wide use range and a limestone base ideally suitable for Bloodstock use.

FORESTRY:
The forestry extends to circa 15 hectares (37 acres) planted in 1995. The premium has since expired. The plantation consists of two distinct areas of conifers and broadleaves. The broadleaf area is an ash/sycamore plantation and the conifer area consists of Norway Spruce & Scots Pine. The entire has been professionally managed with the next thinning due in about 5 years.

TITLE: Freehold

SOLICITOR: J.A Shaw & Co, Marlinstown Office Park, Mullingar.

SERVICES: Private well, septic tank, ESB.

BER details: BER details: Exempt - House is a Protected Structure under the Kildare County Development Plan
Ref: B08 – 25

ENTITLEMENTS: There are no entitlements with the farm.

FIXTURES & FITTINGS: Fixtures in house are included. All other items are expressly excluded unless stated
otherwise.

AMENITIES:
Golf: Moyvalley, Highfield and Edenderry are all within a short drive. Further afield are the K Club and
Carton House (30 minutes).
Hunting: With Meath and Kildare foxhounds.
Racing: Naas, Punchestown and The Curragh.
Shooting: Various pheasant shoots in the immediate vicinity.
Shopping: Locally there is Edenderry, Newbridge and Naas with Liffey Valley just off the M4 approximately 30 minutes.
Schools: Secondary education is available in Edenderry and Kinnegad with private schooling located at Clongowes Wood in Clane and Kings Hospital in Palmerstown.

Features

A SUPERB COUNTRY ESTATE WITH PERIOD RESIDENCE, STEWARD'S HOUSE, LIMESTONE YARD & WALLED GARDEN IN ONE LARGE HOLDING ON SOME OF THE BEST LAND IN CO. KILDARE

BER Details

BER: Exempt

Accommodation

Entrance Hall: 2.40m x 12.00m Wooden floor, cornice, fanlight.

Diningroom: 4.60m x 8.00m Wooden floor, double doors to kitchen, cornice.

Drawingroom: 4.70m x 7.65m Wooden floor, cornice, sash windows, limestone fireplace, centre rose.

Kitchen: 6.30m x 6.10m Aga cooker (4 ovens), cornice, centre rose.

Toilet: W.c., shower, hotpress

First Return: Bath, w.c., w.h.b.

FIRST FLOOR:
Bedroom 1: 6.60m x 6.10m Wooden floor, cornice, black marble, fireplace with Victorian inset.

Bedroom 2: 4.80m x 3.90m Fireplace.

Bedroom 3: 4.80m x 3.80m Fireplace.

Dressing Room: 2.30m x 2.50m

Bedroom 4: 4.80m x 3.70m Fireplace.

Bedroom 5: 4.80m x 3.80m Fireplace.

Basement: 5 Rooms

Boiler Unit:

Directions

Directions: From Dublin
Take the M4 heading westwards and exit at Junction 9 signposted for Johnstownbridge/ Enfield. Take the R402
towards Edenderry and after 10km turn right for Carbury. Proceed straight through junction and take the first left
hand turn. Property in on your right after 2km.

Geographical Co – ordinates: 53° 21’ 50.0256’’ N, 6° 58’ 50.5056’’ W